Rhodie Condition...

hammonds_ns(6)April 12, 2009

Was hoping to get some views on this rhodie, I had tried posting / responding in another post but for whatever reason my pics were not working..anyway, I have two rhodies in a bed in the front of the house, they were both purchased and planted there last summer. After the winter, one (Tapestry) seems to have weathered the winter really well and has nice green leaves, the other (a Kabarett)which is situated right across from it in the same bed has developed a lot of brown leaves mainly at the top part of the plant, I assume weather related damage - anything I should or can do to help this guy along?

Kabarett

Kabarett

Tapestry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Apparently the burned one is tender in your climate or at least on your site. The other needs to be fertilized or the spot is too wet.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 6:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

The damage appears to be a classic case of winter burn - sun, cold, wind damage. 'Tapestry' was developed by Weston Nurseries in MA so is well adapted to the climate of northeast North America. 'Kabarett' is, I believe, one of the Hachmann hybrids from Germany. These are beautiful plants, but in many cases not quite as well suited for your/our climate. Winter protection from sun and wind would really help.

I can't tell anything definite about wetness or fertilizer needs from the photos, but the mulch appears to be fresh wood chips. Use of this as a mulch can lead to nitrogen deficiency.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 5:26AM
More Discussions
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
azalea few yellow leaves
I'm having a problem with some of my azaleas. Their...
trees_in_winter
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™