Is my rhodo doomed?

enjoyApril 20, 2008

We had a bad winter this year for snow and when my neighbor ran out of room to pile his up he threw it all on top of my rhodos next to my house. They have never had trouble over winter but as the snow melted away, I noticed that one in particular has lost near to all of its leaves. Buds still look reasonably healthy though. Will the plant come back or is it done? All are struggling. Time for a fence!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

They can be ugly but put an A frame over them in fall. If the buds are healthy it should come back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 10:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Actually after being winter pruned, they sometimes come back very strong and form a dense growth. However, that dense grow can make it more susceptible to snow load damage. As bullthistle mention, snow load protection may be necessary.

You can let you neighbor know that they aren't allowed to throw their snow on your property and are responsible for any damage this causes. Friendly neighbors are such a blessing. If yours isn't friendly, you may have to get a restraining order forbidding your neighbor from throwing their snow on your property.

Normal snow is much less of a problem. Shoveled snow can be compacted and act much like a huge boulder.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™