Question about Calla Amethyst color

aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)July 8, 2012

Hello all! I hope everyone is having a good Sunday morning! I searched the forum and Google but either I'm the only one with this problem or I'm choosing the wrong search terms because I can't find an answer to my question.

I bought a few calla amethyst bulbs (they called them but they look more like rhizomes). I bought them here: http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/p-879-calla-amethyst.aspx (and there is a picture)

They're growing well - except that the blooms on the two plants that are blooming are white and turn pink (or pink edged) and not purple at all.

Could this be an issue with my soil or their location or is the picture enhanced on the website?

Because I wasn't sure exactly where they'd be happiest here in my climate, I planted two in pots and one in the ground, in three different levels of light. The plant that isnt blooming is the one that is in the ground and it didn't show growth as fast as the other two plants - though the growth that's there now seems healthy.

~

I'm near Valdosta, GA - where we get very hot summers.

The plant that grew fastest and bloomed first is in the most shade, with some dappled sun at various parts of the afternoon.

The "middle growth" plant is in full sun after about 1pm.

The slowest growing is in sun for a few hours during midafternoon.

I appreciate any insight into this beautiful plant!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to sale page and picture

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eclayne(Z6a, MA)

Hi aharriedmom,
I don't have Amethyst but as to the color of bloom take a look at Lakeside Callas website and search letter A. Your description seems to match. Other sites show a darker amethyst color. Amethyst looks to be a rehmannii hybrid, lanceloate leaves, and like all callas likes lots of water and fertilizer.

IF you provide adequate water they should do well in full Georgia sun. They would likely be fine in a boggy situation. 2 to 3 inches of compost on top of the soil will help conserve moisture and keep the roots cooler. Part sun otherwise, especially if potted. Do you lift and store dry overwinter?

You're right about them not growing from bulbs. Botanical descriptions vary. I call them a Corm or Cormous rhizome. When the botanists don't agree we're left to our own devices. :)

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™