Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)April 25, 2013

my good buddy Cal ( a 96lb'er) providing a measure of scale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

I love both! Great picture!

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 1:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Taurus is nice. For some reason, though it is said to be practically identical, a Grace Seabrook I have is not quite the same shade of red. Taurus seems a little better; G.s. seems slightly more purplish. Though not nearly as bad as Nova Zembla, Francesca, et al. Still red. I still notice a mystifying effect w/rhodies that I don't see w/other flowers, where their red shades (only) seem slightly "metameric" with respect to distance; close up they can seem to have a more purplish cast that you don't notice if you are 20+ ft. away. I wonder if there could be a near ultraviolet flavonoid that one's eyes can only pick up at a close distance. 'Britton Hill' is the most noticeable. I like the look of the plant when I'm seeing it from a distance, I do not like it close up. However, it has some of the most gorgeous foliage of any rhodie in my garden (I once had ~ 100 varities) so is worth growing for that reason alone. Perhaps more plausibly my pupils are more dilated when viewing it from a distance, and this somehow affects its apparent color.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™