Relationship between corm size & offshoots

joeb004(z3/4 MN)July 17, 2006

So my paeoniifolius is now sending up its fourth leaf. This wasn't a terribly big bulb to begin with. I'm thinking of this as a conservation of engergy type thing. The corm can use its energy to grow or produce offshoots. Am I likely to be dissapointed when I pull up the corm this fall? Is there anything that can be done to maybe produce less offshoots? 3 seems excessive to me, especially it its coming at the expense of overall corm growth. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to answer my newbie questions.

Regards,

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA(7a Northern VA)

My experience is with the konjac I bought in spring 2005, but may be relevant here.

It was a small corm to begin with and put out what I thought was quite a good sized leaf by june. In july a second leaf came up followed by a third. (At the time I knew little about bulbs getting smaller by dividing into new plants.)

The shoots finally died around november as my greenhouse began to chill and I removed it from the pot. I found a much larger bulb than what I had planted and something like 7 offsets of varrying size. However, it was growing in miracle grow mix soil so that must have helped.

Since your bulb also started out as a bit of a small fry I am guessing that if you fertilize regularly it will be bigger this fall when you unpot it and will have more offsets than those with aboveground leaves. :-)

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™