i got seeds, what do i do now????

bihai(zone 9)July 3, 2007

I have never, in about 15 years of growing ALocasias, had one actually set seeds.

But I went out to the greenhouse today, and one of the Alocasia gagnea variegated had this kewl seedpod on it (see photo).

What do I do now? Should I plant the seeds now, or do they need to dry out or something?

I have no idea what this plant crossed with. There are several other alocasias in the GH that are always blooming as well as other aroids...Lasia spinosa was in bloom, ALocasia macro albo-variegata, Alo "Stingray", Alo lauterbachii, as well as several anthuriums...will alocasia cross with other aroids??

Please advise what to do with the seeds, I'd like to try to grow them and see what happens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sooth

Bahai,

Have a look on the webpage linky for some info that might be helpful. Good Luck and Happy Independence Day to you! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Araceae Seed Sowing and Germination

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 7:05AM
bihai(zone 9)

Thanks sooth! I will plant them today! I got 14 seeds out of the pod!

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 8:03AM
tama

I interest about Foliage Anthurium. Do you have the seed? I look for the seeds of anthurium, like anthurium superbum, anthurium reflexinervum, anthurium radicans, anthurium jenmanii, anthurium luxuriens, anthurium brownii,anthurium oxycarpum, anthurium trinerve. If you have the one, could you please give me about some information. Please give me the detail including the price if FOB Yogyakarta Indonesia.
Requests information as soon as posible.

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 11:54AM
exoticrainforest

Alocasia gageana is one that is capable of self pollination. You very likely have pure seed. I've grown a bunch of them from seed and always planted them within days of their collection. Just smash the berry and cover it with a small amount of soil. Won't take long to produce a new plant.

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Is it going to flower???
Hello; is anyone out there to let me know if this Amorphophallus...
rina_
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™