Store-bought potting mix suggestions?

LibbyLizJuly 24, 2006

This past spring I repotted all my aroids in Scotts with something for root growth because the mix I was using before was going dry too fast between waterings. I think it was Schultz.

Well, the Scotts is too.

I need suggestions for store-bought potting mixes that'll keep my syngoniums, monsteras, scindapsus', aglaonemas, anthurium, ZZ & philos happy in the high desert, supposedly alkaline environment.

Would Miracle Gro Moisture Retention be too heavy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy_e(z9b FL)

I like Naturize brand soil but I don't think they have it that far west yet. Junglemix that I get in Lowes is pretty good stuff.
Randy

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 3:15PM
russ_fla(9)

Look for a potting mix that says 'professional' on the bag.
This is a light mix, and will contain Canadian sphagnum peat moss, usually some composted forest products, a small amount of perlite and/or vermiculite, and a wetting agent. It is not the cheap, heavy dirt-type stuff bagged by the pound. The 'professional' mixes are about as
water-retentive as you can get in a potting mix, being mostly peat moss. Be sure to use plastic pots. You might
consider finding some self-watering pots that have a wick
system in the bottom, these should keep pots constantly moist, I believe. Also, many Aroids will grow quite contentedly in water. Most Philodendrons and Syngoniums will adapt to this readily, and I believe Aglaonemas would be happy with this system too.

Russ
central Fla

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 12:14AM
LibbyLiz

BTW, the Miracle Gro isn't Moisture Retention, it's Moisture Control. It has peat moss, coir pith, pine bark fines, perlite & a wetting agent, in that order, but no moisture crystals.

Randy,   
I've not seen either of those brands, anywhere in Yootah.   
\=( 

Russ,   
I use plastic & glazed ceramic only. Is that okay? I do have just three terra cotta pots, two in use, that I sealed with, I think, a waterproofer. Though I guess the only way to make sure they're really waterproof is to have a ceramic shop glaze them. Since they're really nice pots I may have to clean them up real well & invest in such.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
Pothos, the real one
I'm still away from home and have been doing quite...
tropicbreezent
new amorph titanum thread
lets see if starting a new thread on titanum will let us...
lomodor
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™