Need tips on rooting native azaleas

Judithw(z7TN)April 28, 2005

I just LOVE these things, and I've love to know how/when to take and root cuttings. There are many blooming right now in my area, but I can never locate them when they're NOT in flower. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

Deciduous rhododendrons like most of the native American species are difficult to root. The best course is to take cuttings when the current year's growth has hardened somewhat but is still flexible. Wound the base of the cuttings, use a relatively strong rooting hormone and place the cuttings in a mixture of 50% peat and 50% perlite. Cover the flat with clear plastic on a wire frame and keep in a bright place without direct sun. Then hope and be patient.
Anoher option is to collect seed when ripe, sow on spahgnum or live moss above the peat/perlite mixture in a flat covered with plastic. Water with distilled water or rain water. The seedlings grow relatively quickly.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 5:52AM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Mainegrower - thanks for the tip - i was surfing and ran across this, cool! have another question - don't laugh please - i am good at rooting stuff, but learning the seed angle too....how do you know when the seeds are ripe on Native Azaleas?

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 8:20PM
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

Seeds are ripe when the capsules have turned brown and are beginning to split/open. This usually doesn't happen until the fall. Capsules can be collected before they are fully ripe - place in a paper bag. The seeds will continue to ripen. They are tiny and produced in huge numbers in each capsule.

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 5:34AM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Thanks a bunch Mainegrower - I will try it - and will also steal seeds from the whitish one at work! (not a nursery, sad to say - just a gov't building!)

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 11:49PM
winged_mammal

How long does it take to layer native azaleas? Has anyone tryed this method for them? It seems more reliable than cuttings.

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 8:50AM
PoppyTart(z7 TN)

I layered one of my native azaleas by laying a large broken branch over a farily long stem. The next year I had 2 azaleas side by side. I never moved or even tried to transplant the "new" bush but it was rooted under the branch.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 5:36AM
sequatchie(east TN)

Have lots of wild azaleas growning wild on my property

Funny...But I guess I didn't have enough experience to do it the correct way. Took some from dirt from old stumps in the woods that had rotted, built a small mound. I simply cut about 3/4 inch from a node on the wild azalea and placed it into the mound.

Kept them watered and now I have about 10 to 15 thriving azaleas. In fall I gather and toss leaves around the mound.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™