alocasia calodora blooming

sandy0225(z5 Indiana)July 4, 2007

I'm just thrilled--my two year old alocasia calodora is blooming. Is there anything I need to do to pollinate the blooms, or do they just do that themselves? it has had about four blooms on it so far. Do they just keep on blooming from now on? or do they have a certain season? It's about four feet tall, not too bad for Indiana. This is the one that I grew in the pond last year.

Sincerely

sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lariann(z10 FL)

The Alocasia x calidora (correct name) usually blooms in the Spring and sometimes again in the Fall. That is delayed in your case due to your weather requirements.

Alocasia blooms are pollen receptive when first opened, usually in the morning, and the next day, pollen will drop. If you want to try selfing this plant, you need to collect pollen in a small airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator until your next bloom opens. Once it does, you warm up the pollen, gently cut away an opening in the lower (swollen) spathe area, and apply the pollen with a clean artists brush to the pistil heads.

If you are successful, berries will form and ripen in about two months after pollination. Seeds should be planted immediately upon harvesting from the berries and kept moist. Seeds should never be dried out prior to planting; they should go directly from berry to moist planting medium. I soak mine in distilled water overnight before planting to leach out germination inhibitors.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 12:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

It's blooming again in the greenhouse. I'm keeping temp at a minimum of 50. It's even a bigger bloom than the first time.... What a cool plant!
The first bloom set 5-6 seeds by itself. I planted them and they all came up. I've really had fun with this one.

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™