Looking for an R. Yedoense azalea

nippersdadApril 7, 2007

I am wondering if anyone in this Forum could help me to locate an R. Yedoense,Yodogawa, double lavender, species azalea? All I have been able to find are the R. Poukhanense single lavender azaleas. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

http://www.countryarbors.com/ might have it. I can't tell which two they have.

The National Arboretum has it. Perhaps you could get a cutting.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 1:28PM
nippersdad

Hello Rhodyman, thank you for the link! It looks, however, like what they have is an R. Poukhanense. How would one go about getting cuttings from the National Arboretum (short of showing up with some scissors :))?

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 12:10PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

I would contact them and ask if they know where you can get the plant you want. Tell them you know they grow it but don't know where to get it. For a photograph taken last year at the National Arboretum check

http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/R/Rhododendron_yedoense.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: National Arboretum

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 2:40PM
nippersdad

Hello Rhodyman: What a great picture! you certainly do know how to find things. I wonder what they mean about it being "invasive." If only my privets and bamboo had flowers like that! I had looked at their site after you first told me about them and they have a policy of only giving out "germ plasm" to researchers and some (presumably also researchers) individuals. Kind of a high bar for me. But I really do appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 7:36PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Invasive means it spreads. It is stoloniferous.

Van Veens Nursery in Portland, Oregon, will root cuttings. It might be worthwhile to contact Kathy Van Veen and see if she can get some starts for you from the National Arboretum. I believe she qualifies as a researcher. If they are not in the general trade, perhaps this would be a way to get them there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Veen Nursery

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 11:54AM
nippersdad

Hello Rhodyman:
So, it would spread in much the same way that some native azaleas do...that would mean square feet not acres, right? Not like kudzu or bamboo which can eat your entire domain in a year. This is what I meant by questioning their idea of what is invasive.

I would like your take before I go any further with this...Kudzu and privet have wonderful smelling flowers but they are certainly not worth the headache the rest of the year. I simply cannot believe that people spend actual money on privets; that they consciously BUY them. I'm quite sure that whoever invented agent orange had them in mind.
Mike

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™