MA zone 5-6. Best variety for my needs.

anitjeApril 14, 2012

Hi.

I am thinking of planting rhododendrons in a 20 foot long row between my home and the neighbors, as a privacy screen to block the view of all the junk in the neighbor's yard. The space is fairly shady though it does get partial sun. Moisture, as is typical in New England, is variable....we sometimes have very wet weather and sometimes very dry, any time of year. The soil is not waterlogged or particularly sandy, as far as I can tell.

The local garden center has the common variety Roseum elegans, which seems like it may work, since I can buy fairly large plants to begin with and the maximum height is listed among the larger ones available.

Please let me know if there are other varieties of rhododendron that may serve my purpose better, be more aesthetically pleasing, grow faster, etc, or if the R. elegans is a good choice. Or if I would be better off with plants other than rhododendrons.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LindaMA(MA z5)

The species you listed above roseum elgans is pretty common in MA and do fairly well in both zone 5 and 6. I use to live in zone 6, just outside of Boston and now I am more northwest and in zone 5, and my rhodies have done well in both of these zones.

English Roseum and Nova Zembla are the two varities I grow now, but they do take a long time to get to the height where they would provide privacy for you.

Have you ever thought about Aborvitaes? They create a great privacy screen and if you purchase them at about 5 feet, they should grow faster than the Rhodys. They will also provide privacy in summer and winter, just like the rhodies will. It's all a matter of what you prefer.

Linda

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 2:38PM
anitje

Thanks, Linda!

The problem with arbor vitae, from what I have been told, is they need more sun to thrive. I am considering pyramidal yews for the same reason....they tell me they need less sun.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:39PM
freki(5a)

PJM is hardy & very popular here (5a). I have Pohjola's Daughter, but it is a slow grower. There are a bunch developed by the University of Helsinki that should be reliable for you.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 2:54PM
jimbobfeeny(5a IN)

You could try Rhododendron Maximum - That's supposed to be one of the hardiest, and it's certainly one of the largest Rhodos. It can bloom in full shade, although it grows a bit leggy.

I've got a 'Boursault' rhododendron that seems to have done fairly well so far - It's a Catawba hybrid, so it should be fairly hardy.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
azalea few yellow leaves
I'm having a problem with some of my azaleas. Their...
trees_in_winter
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™