Confusion

beachplant(9b)July 23, 2005

I've had a big A. Konjac for years in a pot in the back. This past year I acquired some more A. Konjac, A. bulbifer, A. paeoniifolis and an A. Titanium.

Now for my question. The A. Konjac I've had for years grows one big kind of curved c-shaped leaf, almost like the Dracunculus vulgaris leaf. The new A. Konjac bulbs that I just planted are sending up a kind of 3 leaf. BUT the A. Konjac, A. bulbifer bulbs I got a few months ago have the same big kind of c shaped leaves. They are definately different plants, the stems are different, and not dracunculus.

What's going on? What am I growing?

Tally HO!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handspeakboy(z7seattle)

Beachplant-

The C-shaped leaf you talk about sounds to me like Typhonium venosum. It is in the same family as amorphophallus and Dracunculus.. If you go on google and click images on the top menu bar ... type in the names of the plants you want to look for.. It will bring up pictures for you to get a look at.

As a rule .. Amorphophallus species have leaves with 3 arms on it. Typhponium venosum has a C shaped leaf on it.

Best bet is to google them.. I also reccomend looking around this site.. www.aroid.org ... It is a great resource

Chris

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 8:34PM
beachplant(9b)

OK, they are Typhonium vewnosum. What the heck do I do with them? What kind of light? Fertilizer? Dormancy? I'm pissed now. I DON'T want this plant!! Much less 5 of them. Seems they like zone 5, really bad news for me as I'm zone 9b. I already wrote one of the vendors I bought them from, supposed to be reputable, HA!, and complained, I'll look up the other tonight and write them tomorrow to complain. Tally Ho!

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 8:00PM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Well, I must say, you would have to have your eyes closed to mistake an Amorph tuber from a Typhonium venosum....they look very different. The Amorphs you just got should be very easy for you, although I've heard from some people in South Florida that konjac is not as happy in the heat of West Palm Beach and south so I'm not sure how it will like your climate. Best of luck with the other problems :o) Dan

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Is it going to flower???
Hello; is anyone out there to let me know if this Amorphophallus...
rina_
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™