Azalea Elevation

bluesunflower(WA 7)May 10, 2009

This may sound like a silly question to some but...is there an elevation that azaleas don't do well in? I live outside of Seattle, about a thousand feet up a mountain. I have lived here only a couple of years and I am learning that there is a difference in some things. For instance we got three feet of snow this winter when everyone else got a foot or less.

I am on my second set of little azaleas and they don't look like they are thriving. I think they probably have some winter damage. I can understand that I might need to cover them for the deep winter but if they are never going to be happy here I will stop torturing the little things.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodthrush(z4PA)

We are 1500 ft here and the only problem with azalea are the deer. Did you mean that you get 3 ft of snow when below gets a foot, or that your total snowfall for the year is 3 ft?
I planted a tiny little azalea last fall and it did survive the winter, and another one I have is 18 years old.
Are you sure the varieties you are buying are hardy to your zone? I always figure my 'zone' by what the coldest winter night can drop to - not what the maps say.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 8:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluesunflower(WA 7)

Woodthrush, thank you for replying!
I was talking 3 ft of snow all at once. In the Pacific NW we can usually count on some snow every winter but the amount differs widely. I am sorry to say that I don't know about the hardiness. Did the weekend gardener thing and just assumed it was all good. duh.

I will look for the tags from the purchase. I usually save all those. Then I will look into other considerations such as lighting and exposure. Thank you very much for your help.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
jada223
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™