Pachysandra under azaleas and rhodys

helenhycMay 2, 2009

I am a complete novice to gardens and the house we bought has the pachysandra coming right up to the rhodys (which has a lot of bare branches and brown leaves) and intertwined with azaleas (some looking very brown with few leaves and no blooms) and other shrubs (cherry laurel) and trees (cedar, oaks, pines, spruces, cherry).

Should I try to create a pachy free zone around any of these plants? I know that removing pachy is difficult (especially intertwined with the azaleas) so I'd rather not unless it really is affecting the health of these plants.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Probably there are other reasons why the rhododendrons and azaleas aren't up to par. The success of the pachysandra may be a result of them struggling rather than a cause. I'd pop a few of the smaller, more easily dug ones up and look at their rootballs. Maybe they have just gotten to be buried too deep, maybe the soil is too heavy, maybe...

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirty_wench(5b)

I don't think the pachy is hurting either the rhods or the azaleas other than they are competing for water, which could explain the brown leaves. Make sure you are providing them with ample water, including during the fall/winter. If you are seeing the rhods' leaves sort of fold in like closing an umbrella during very cold spells during the winter, that is usually a sign that they need water, but by then the ground is frozen and it is difficult to provide for their need.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
why do my azaleas look like this?
Zone 6. Moved into this house 4 yrs age and the azaleas...
zeak8892
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Blanchie
My Rhododendron leaves are green, but have started...
blanchie7
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™