pruning rhododendron

NevilleDohertyMay 23, 2014

I have a healthy rhododendron, approximately nine feet tall. About how far can I safely cut it back?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

What is your reasoning for wanting to prune your mature rhododendron back? Without seeing a photo of it, sometimes it's better to do some limbing from the bottom up, making more of a multi-stemmed small tree from it. Pruning a 9' is possible, but what you often find is it's back at its original height before much time has passed - especially if it is well grown/healthy.

Healthy rhodys will normally respond well to heavy pruning, exceptions are if they are in a considerable amount of shade, or have one of the Falconeri, Thompsonnii series in their parentage, or are one of the smooth barked types - those may not sprout new growth if hard pruned and any severe pruning while possible is not without at least a degree of risk.

If you are going to prune: Rhododendrons have dormant growth buds in the leaf axils (where leaf joins stems). Make your cuts just above a rosette of leaves and new growth will emerge from the dormant eyes there. If you have to cut into a branch below any leaf rosettes, look for faint rings in the bark where there once were leaves - close inspection should reveal small bumps, those are the dormant buds where there once were leaves and cutting just above the rings/bumps should stimulate the dormant buds into growth. If you can't find the rings - make your cuts where you must, then go back when growth emerges and remove any bare stubs that remain above...

Dormant buds on rhododendrons should begin to grow within about a month on smaller stems, 8-10 weeks on taller main stems - give plenty of time if pruning later in Spring for growth to form, mature and harden off before next Fall's weather change again - particularly important in your more severe weather zone.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 7:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kelley8.

I have a large mature broad leaf rhododendron. I want to prune it to keep it from getting larger. Some of the buds have bloomed. I understand that I should prune those branches after the blooms fade. But there is already new growth on other branches. If I prune them now will new growth sprout again this season?

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
What type os Azalea to buy to achieve this...
My ultimate goal is to achieve the edge in the linked...
gatremonti
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Is this a rhododendron?
Moved here in July. Still trying to figure this out....
ssmo
Most mini
I bought one purple blooming azalea years ago in Laconia...
coppice
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™