A. paeoniifolius wants another stalk

guy_in_bear_suitAugust 20, 2007

Hi, I have a potted A. paeoniifolius that has decided to put out a secondary stalk from the main bulb.

It only has about an inch or so exposed. My question is, should I abort the new stalk and if so, how do I go about it.

I mean, it seems a bit late in the season(late august) to be growing another stalk and this is the first time it has done it.

I'm not sure what I should do.

~A~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
truetropical77

Please.. leave it in the ground. It is still part of the Mother bulb, and the second stalk will just give more energy to making a new bulb when winter comes around.

-M

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 10:55AM
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

I planted out several small tubers , most under 1" .
They just grew and grew , most had several stems all season . Just dug one up a few weeks ago and it was over 6" . Cant wait to see how they do this season .
This is in true wet tropics , in Feb. I had 2" of rain on average every day . I left a pencil poked in the ground , and it sprouted ;-)

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 6:37AM
araceaelover

It is always best to leave the stalks on. When it gets cold the plant itself will decide to end the growing season by allowing the leaf stalk to wither all by itself. In the process the energy that it took for the stalk to grow will go back into the tuber, making the tuber healthier and stronger for the dormant period.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 3:22PM
houstonpat(9a)

When the leaves start to yellow I drive a stake next to the pot and tie the leaf to it to help support it while it whithers away. I feel it helps the tuber absorb the carbohydrates from the leaf.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™