Problem of changing colors

shic_2006(4a 5a)May 5, 2006

My indoor Azaleas change the colors of their flowers easily. I admit that some of the new colors are lovely. However, I feel unpleasant seeing a plant with deep pink flowers on one side, light pink ones in the middel, and white ones on the other side. Or, some flowers are of uniformed color, while others have deeper base color and whitish border color. The effect is a bit too "busy".

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

They might be satsuki azaleas. They are a Japanese azalea family that was bred for this highly variable flowering. They typically have flowers with all combinations of colors, for example pink, white, and white and pink, sort of like you get when you breed different colored cats.

If it is not a satsuki, then you are seeing the effect of light on the color. There are two effects that I am aware of.

One is the light triggering of some pigmentation. Certain colors are more prominent in flowers on parts of the plant that get sunlight, direct or indirect.

The other is fading, in which colors fade with time in flowers on sides of the plant that get more sunlight, direct or indirect.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 11:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shic_2006(4a 5a)

Based on appearance of the blooms, some of my Azaleas have some blood from satsuki. That might be the cause of the problem. I also agree that temperature and light are factors.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
azalea few yellow leaves
I'm having a problem with some of my azaleas. Their...
trees_in_winter
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™