Colocasia gigantea

jon1949(z7 north tx.)August 29, 2005

Hi, Plant Delights has Colocasia gigantea(Thailand Giant strain)available again.john

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I got one the last time. It's growing nicely. Is it still $25 or $22? I can't remember.

Susan

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 8:41PM
cactusfreak(7)

Got mine a few weeks ago.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 8:41PM
planty01976(z9a)

Got mine last year. Its about 4ft tall now with several pups. Thankfully the hungry bugs avoid it. It's in the ground (which makes a huge difference) , but i'll plant it in a pot and put it in the greenhouse for the winter, i don't want to have to start from scratch next spring.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 7:42AM
Bonbon_N_KS(5b)

Thanks Jon, for the alert. Susan, they are $22. I bought 2... 1 for a friend, and 1 for self. So, can I just store the bulb in the dry dark basement till next spring?

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 10:47AM
planty01976(z9a)

Yes, but keep it dry, if it starts to mildew, or rot, clean it, dry it in front of a box fan, and store it in your refrigerator in the crisper drawer. When you trim the bulb, leave some of the petiole material near the base, don't cut it way down to the bulb. Otherwise when you go to plant it you will have 5 little shoots rather than 1 big shoot. (If you have Rootone© Hormone, use it because it has fungicide )

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 3:52PM
planty01976(z9a)

Don't spend $22+S&H on the Gigantea, see if raymikematt has some, I hear they grow like weeds at his place.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 3:55PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Are C. Gigantea 'Thai Giant'the same plant as C. gigantea? Or is Thai Giant a cultivar of C. gigantea?

Congrats, Bonbon! Mine is in the ground and growing. It is at least 3' tall and pup is coming up, too. After only a month, I think that is pretty good.

Susan

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 3:59PM
raymikematt(z7b SC)

I dont have the Thailand giant strain though. Just the regular old Colocasia gigantea PDN originally offered a few years ago. However, mine have gotten a 10 foot spread before, and they DO grow like weeds. They are VERY hardy too. I left a bulb completely exposed over winter one year (absolute low was 19F) and it came back after i knocked it back into the dirt the following spring.
Michael M.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 7:10PM
Bonbon_N_KS(5b)

Wow, sounds like a fast grower. Well, I just paid the price. I've been wanting one for 2 planting seasons, everyone was sold out when I'd check. I was watching PD and Tytyga. So I just took the plunge @$22+shpg. (But raymikematt, if you have extra........., I would send postage and if I have cuttings or seeds you may want :) I'll go update my profile. Storming here this a.m.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 10:28AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

BonBon - I signed up for the e-mail notices, which is how I got one earlier. Are you signed up for them?

Raymattmike - what do you mean by an absolute low? Does that mean an average over a certain period of time?

Susan

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 7:06PM
raymikematt(z7b SC)

That was the coldest we got that winter. The coldest night of the year.

Bookmark   September 3, 2005 at 12:42AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Well, in Oklahoma we can get down to 0 degrees, but it is not usually a "sustained" temp over several days (watch it do that this winter now). In fact, in the last several years, our ground has not gotten cold enough to freeze anything, and I think ground temps are as important, if not more so, than air temps.

Susan

Bookmark   September 3, 2005 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Messed Up Looking Konjac Or ??? Help ID
Hey Is this just a damaged / messed up looking Konjac Some...
dethcheez
Helicodiceros muscivorus won't sleep
In oktober 2013 I bought on E-bay a Dead Horse Arum...
gigagys
Pothos, the real one
I'm still away from home and have been doing quite...
tropicbreezent
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™