colocasia esculenta

debbiecz3(z3MB)August 29, 2005

The older leaves on this year old plant (restarted from bulb this spring) have brown and yellow edges. It is in a container that gets morning sun only; lots of water and is fertilized regularly. Is this common for the leaves as they age or is it something else? The new leaves are green and healthy looking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantman69(z6b canada)

it is normal for the older leaves to turn yellow and die....as long as the plant is putting out healthy new leaves things should be ok......Brent :)

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 3:37PM
debbiecz3(z3MB)

Thank you Brent for your response. I've just recently obtained a baby "illustris" and am watching out for a good deal on "black magic" as I've really come to like these plants. Trying to make my zone 3 patio look a little like the tropics in the summer months!

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 11:29AM
planty01976(z9a)

Yes, the leaves normally "cycle". But I don't think that is the case. Please submit a photo. I suspect you are overfertilizing it, and/or the soil is dry. Its tricky because it can be moist to the touch, but be dry lower down if your drainage is "too good". Again, submit a photo is your best chance at a much more accurate diagnosis. Don't shrug it off, it may be a problem. You may have to do a soil transfusion and fertilize less. What kind of fertilizer is it? If it is anything other than time release granules, or miracle grow liquid, I will probablly frown on it.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
Aglaonema
Anyone know the name of this Aglaonema hybrid? Only...
russ_fla
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™