Help ID white climber, once bloomer

hemnancy(z8 PNW)July 6, 2011

I hope someone can help me with a name for this once-blooming very prolific and strong rose, small white flattened blooms, pink buds. Someone ran into my support posts with a trailer and so it is flopping. It is so heavy, I hope I can get it back up after it stops blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Could it be the damask Madame Hardy?

Jackie

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 7:23PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

*** Looks like 'Mme. Plantier.'

Jeri

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 7:28PM
aliska12000(Z5)

Second vote for Mme. Plantier, pink buds, then I looked at the photo, green buttons, check out helpmefind.

I have two roses almost exactly like it that I rooted, they look the same but don't have pink buds. Yes, I hope you can get it supported again, sounds like it's extremely vigorous in your part of the country.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 9:49PM
rosemeadow_gardener

As soon as I saw your pretty photo, I knew it was Madame Hardy, I took a photo of my friends Madame Hardy a few years ago and it looked just like yours. Here it is.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 8:14AM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Hardy and Plantier are similar, but Plantier's foliage is very distinctive. See it here, in an old NoCal Cemetery:

Jeri

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 12:37PM
sunnysideuphill(5)

I had Mme Hardy many years ago, and she was a bush, not a climber....she was crushed by heavy equipment during barn construction, but I ordered her from Rogue Valley this spring, band looking good!

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 3:34PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I looked at the photos, it does look more like Mme Hardy, but help me find says it has thorns while Mme Plantier is thornless, as is my rose, so I think I will go with MP. Thanks! The size also seems more similar.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 6:57AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

'Hardy' is taller, with more erect growth and larger parts. The above photo of the comparatively short and quite arching 'Plantier' being viewed by the man is quite characteristic.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 9:14PM
cemeteryrose(USDA 9/Sunset 14)

Mme Plantier will definitely climb if given a support and trained that way. I, too, think that is your rose. The foliage is dull and gray-green, showing some Alba heritage. Mme Hardy is brighter green. I also think that MP has more clustering flowers, showing the Noisette in its background.

"The man" in Jeri's photo is THE man, her husband Clay, in case anybody wants to know. It's a little hard to recognize him without a long-haired Dalmation in tow.
Anita

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 1:53AM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

There's also the fragrance. 'Mme. Plantier's is distinctive, very rich and soft, and it wafts on the air for yards around. The plant will definitely make a climber or massive trailing shrub, much larger than 'Mme. Hardy' in my experience, though that may depend on where you live. I don't know how common MP is in the Pacific Northwest, but the house I bought in Olympia, Washington, had several plants of it growing in the yard.
Melissa

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Well, well, well....I found the culprit!
For the past few years, I have blamed my wood mulch...
mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
Devoniensis rose in Texas?
I am in south Texas and like the bush form of Devoniensis,...
kingcobbtx9b
close cousins of Belinda's Dream?
BD looks like a great landcaping/cutting rose, but...
Adam Harbeck
Peach Silk
Seem to recall a thread about Peach Silk recently....
alameda/zone 8
Good filler flowers for Rose Bouquets-Hot Humid FL
What are some good bouquet filler flowers that I can...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™