Borneo Giant berries / seeds

right_coaster(NC Zone 8)August 30, 2007

Hello,

I was just messing around one afternoon about 6 weeks ago and cut open one of the 'blooms' (correct term?) and found that I had some small green berries in my Borneo Giant. Today I finally picked them, they were an orange/red color.

I followed the instructions I found on aroid.org and aroidiaresearch.org to get the seeds out and plant them. This is my first EE and I was wondering if anyone else had any success in growing the Borneo Giant from seed. The biggest issue I have seen on the forum is related to the freshness. I sowed the seeds about 15 minutes after getting them out of the berry, hopefully freshness won't be a problem!!. I didn't have any of the growing medium mentioned on the website, so I just sowed them in Black Kow. The "mother" plant has done extremely well in it so I figure (hope) the seeds will too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lariann(z10 FL)

You should do OK with the seeds so long as you don't let them dry out. I always soak mine in distilled water for 24 hrs (at least) before planting. Best to keep them in a plastic container with a top like some fast food comes in; make sure there are holes in the bottom for drainage. They must stay moist and a container like I've described is like a little greenhouse where you can keep the humidity at 100%.

They usually sprout easily and you should have small plants in a few weeks. Of course, you don't have too much time in NC to get them up to size before winter sets in; hope you can keep them growing indoors or in a regular greenhouse or sunroom.

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Alocasia

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™