Rhodos in Sun

pallas_nj(NJ shore)May 22, 2006

Ok. I know Rhodos in bright light is a no-no---so my Rhodo leaves are turning yellow. Is there anything I can fertilize this plant with to help it out. Its too big to move.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Yellowing of leaves surfaces, often with brownish burned areas, occurring on leaves that are more exposed to sun, is caused by more sun exposure than the plant is able to tolerate. Some varieties need shade, while all plants that have been protected from direct sun will be tender until hardened off by gradual exposure to sun light. Possible solutions are to give the plant more shade or move it to a more protected site.

Uniformly yellowish-green leaves is often just the need for more nitrogen. This will be more noticeable in the full sun. Some less sun tolerant varieties will always be light green in full sun.

Yellowing of a leaf between dark green veins is called chlorosis. Many conditions can be responsible. Poor drainage, planting too deeply, heavy soil with poor aeration, insect or fungus damage in the root zone and lack of moisture all induce chlorosis. After these conditions are eliminated as possible causes, soil testing is in order. Chlorosis can be caused by malnutrition caused by alkalinity of the soil, potassium deficiency, calcium deficiency, iron deficiency or magnesium deficiency. A combination of acidification with sulfur and iron supplements such as chelated iron or iron sulfate will usually treat this problem. Chlorosis can also be caused by nitrogen toxicity (usually caused by nitrate fertilizers) or other conditions that damage the roots such as root rot, severe cutting of the roots, root weevils or root death caused by extreme amounts of fertilizer.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 7:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Thanks Mr. Henning. At least I have the benefit of your expertise. A day without learning something isn't a good day in my opinion.

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™