Anyone have Polar Bear??

sonny300(z8 B.C.)May 16, 2005

I just bought a 1 gallon Polar Bear this spring and was wondering how many years it will take before it begins to flower.. Planted it with a mixture of fine bark-composted fish fertilizer and soil....The tag says it is a vigours grower.. Any info on this little treasure would be appreciated...Thanks..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron_B

In future, do not amend planting holes. Rhododendron 'Polar Bear' has the vigor and size of its parents, but will bloom smaller than a seedling, being propagated from cuttings.

I think R. auriculatum is the best of the summer rhododendrons.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 9:00PM
sonny300(z8 B.C.)

Thanks Ron: I have an auriculatum that is now 12 years old and when I bought it as a 6 yr plant back in 1999 there was some joking about me maybe living long enough to see it flower..This is why I was wondering how old polar bear will have to become before it flowers for the first time?? Also have Angelo (6yrs) and still waiting>>lol

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 9:25PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

I had a Polar Bear quite a few years ago until the gohpers got to it (can you believe that?) I had it in the ground for three or four years and it was already nearly 6' tall and I believe (hard for me to remember these days) that it bloomed once or twice for me. Scent was nice and sweet, too, but not too strong, as I recall.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 1:42PM
sonny300(z8 B.C.)

Thanks Kris: well mine is 3 years planted (4) years old. Looks healthy it`s bout 5ft tall. No flowers this year though. Maybe next year?

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 3:38PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Sonny, and you can keep yours crossed for me that I will live to see my macabeanum bloom.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™