Lees Dark bloom wilt

emj123May 20, 2007

I bought a Lees Dark Rhodo. that was just starting to bloom (1 bud was partially opened and the remainder were ready to pop open), intending to put it in the ground immediately but was unable to until 3 days later. For those 3 days, it sat (still in the pot) between a fence and a small wall where it was protected from wind but did receive some sun and shade. I did, however, forget to water it during the 3 days though we did get some rain 2 days after I bought it (I know, shame on me). The temps. were cool during the 3 days, but no frost.

When I pulled it out to plant (I did plant it), it was mostly bloomed but the blooms are severely wilted. The leaves are fine, I do not see any evidence of disease and the roots were not bound up in the pot. Is the wilting likely caused from lack of water? Will the blooms perk up with some TLC or should I deadhead them all (ouch!).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Does sound like the roots got dry. Good watering may bring the flowers back, you can always pick them off later if they don't perk up. I've seen this happen many times, the flowers apparently melt well before the leaves start to flag.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 4:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emj123

Yep--that was the problem. An hour and lots of water later--they have perked up substantially. Amazing what a little water can do.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
jada223
Party Pink
Can anyone help me to find a rhododendron named Party...
Giacamo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™