can anyone ID this old azalea

davidrt28 (zone 7)May 18, 2013

Based on my understanding, it would have been planted before the mid 70s. (According to an elderly neighbor, no one who owned the house after that did anything in the gardens until I came along)

The interesting thing is most years it is much closer to a solid purplish-fuchsia color. This year has been very cool and cloudy, and it seems to have made the flowers have a much bigger, brighter white flair in the middle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Figured it couldn't be too rare so I reviewed a couple obvious online sources with photographs.

"Strong shoots often produce purple flowers; however, these same lateral shoots will give flowers of the correct color pattern thereafter. Broad and spreading,"

When i moved here it was over run with weeds and holly seedlings and in the process of rescuing it had to cut a few branches back. When these regrew is where I saw the strong purple flowers.

It's kind of a shame because I might like the sold purple better than the somewhat precious bicolored ones. I have a few for various reasons but I generally don't like rhodos or azaleas that look high hybridized and have improbable bicolored combinations. That being said a plant like Hank's 'Orange Hose-in-Hose-ola" is over the top when viewed close up but gives an astonishingly different orange sherbet color from a distance, so is worth having for that reason.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.greergardens.com/evergreen.htm

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, May 18, 13 at 18:35

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 6:34PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I'm not a fan of a lot of azaleas in my yard, but I do have a few -- mostly they came with the house! But if I had this one (yours), I'd be thrilled.

There is one very similar to it, if not identical to yours, in a neighbor's yard, growing mostly in shade. I'd love to get a cutting.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:44AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

On Harold Greer's website you listed above, look at Martha Hitchcock.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
hyakamooks
Galloping gardeners strike again
Yikes! My two wonderful dogs have a completely different...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
Blanchie
My Rhododendron leaves are green, but have started...
blanchie7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™