My EE has become a tree, it's out of control!

Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)August 30, 2006

Hi. Last spring I purchased five Elephant Ear bulbs from Walmart, nothing special, about softball size or smaller. I guess they like my soil, because they are HUGE! The leaves are 24 - 36" or more, and the stalks are taller than me, possibly up to 6'. I had planned on digging the bulbs and bringing them in for the winter, but now I'm afraid that their roots have gotten so big that the digging would disturb neighboring hydrangeas and hosta. How big do the roots typically get? Also, what do you suggest about the management of all the foliage and stems before you dig the bulb. Do you cut it all down? If so, do you wait until after it gets zapped by frost? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
novice_gardner(Z6b PA)

I got 4 of these babies from walmart this year. They are around 6 ft tall and 2-3ft long leaves. I am not really concerned as I would simply dig them up and even cut the foliage. I had smaller variety last year and dug them up with some roots, cut all the foliage and potted them back. This year I am simply going to dig them up with or without roots and leave them in basement. I have way too many of these.

I went to Korean grocery store and bought Malanga and other varieties for a fraction of cost (approx $1). Even in a worse case scenario, I can start from scratch if I loose these. But I think it will make it in the basement with or without roots.

Ajay

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 12:12AM
ARUM(7)

I NEVER cut the leaves. The food for the bulb is in the leaves. Best to let the frost kill the leaves, then dig. :) Arum

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 8:03PM
toothless_willie(8a GA)

Hi Jen,

Last spring I dug out and moved my EE's from in front of the house because the summer before they grew to seven and a half feet tall and the leaves were huge!. I did not want to dig up the whole bed so I mercilessly choped off the roots and only moved the corm. This year the are over six feet tall in their new bed and the pieces I missed in the old bed are three to four feet tall. Let the leaves die back and then root them out.

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Helicodiceros muscivorus won't sleep
In oktober 2013 I bought on E-bay a Dead Horse Arum...
gigagys
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
What do you do when Arum italicum naps?
I have a good size area blanketed in arum in the shade...
Kristin
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Sponsored Products
Star Clock by Vitra
$530.00 | Lumens
52" Minka Aire Aluma Wet Flat White Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Tiffany Ceiling Lighting Baroque Flush Mount
ParrotUncle
Lite Line 1-Light MR16 120-Volt Square White Track Lighting Head HD-TH312
$16.39 | Home Depot
New Hand Knotted Wool 5'x7' Antiqued Pakistani Art Super Kazak Persian Rug H4085
BH Sun Inc
Rave King Bed, Night Stand & Chest Set
$999.99 | zulily
Large Copper Tray
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Lets Sail Boat Inspired Twin Bed with 2 Drawer Trundle - White/Oak - IDF-7768
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™