Rhaphidophora cryptantha arrived!

clibanarius(z8GA)August 8, 2008

...and I'm thinking aroideana wasn't exaggerating its vigor!

Here's what it looks like today:

What impresses me is the last inch or two of the stems, which are white and virtually chlorophyll-free. If I'm not mistaken, this represents the growth this plant put on since it was packed in a dark box and shipped -- 3 days ago!

Cheers,

Alan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

Alan , very impressive , now you just have to get it established on a suitable mount . With three stems , you could try 3 different types .. cork , hardwood , and coir maybe ??? Good growing .

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 2:15AM
bihai(zone 9)

I have one growing over a rock. They are lots of fun.

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 10:58PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Is this one of those species often called "shingle plants"
Many years ago there was a nursery in Boynton Beach .Among the many botanical wonders he had growing was
a " New Guinea shingle plant" The remarkable thing about it was the leaves were red with black stripes .Overlapped much like shingles on a roof . The effect was breathtaking lol. Unfortuneately , I never got any info . Feel certain it was a Rhaphidophora but have never found it . I want one for my new seep wall but all I can find are the green types. Anyone know about this??? gary

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 7:13AM
clibanarius(z8GA)

A rock? How big are the leaves?

The white stems are now not quite as green as the rest of the stems, but they're getting there; no further growth that I can see, though. I'm wondering if the growing tips have been damaged, which would slow things down a bit.

I've only just learned about shingle plants myself, so I'm not familiar with all the different species. Haven't come across one with black-striped red leaves; I'd remember that!

Cheers,

Alan

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 10:53PM
bihai(zone 9)

I have a few species of Rhaphidophora that don't shingle: hongkongensis, which will adhere to the mount but the leaves don't really overlap, pachyphylla which has tiny leaves and does the same, decursiva which looks like a big weird philodendron, and tetrasperma (also called climbing dwarf monstera 'Ginny').

The ones that I have that truly shingle are korthalsii and cryptantha.

The only other species of plant that I am aware of that you can actually buy at times if you are lucky enough to stumble into them somewhere from a collector are the Marcgravias.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 6:29AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Bihai
Thanks for that info. At least I have some idea what to look for. The red and black form I saw was so striking .He had it growing up a modified trellis along with about a dozen other species of plants. In his younger days he had done some collecting on his own in New Guinea. He had a bunch of stuff I've never seen anywhere else.
Unfortuneately he passed away. They put condos on his GH and his kids sold the business .
Sure wish I'd asked him the latin name ,
Thanks again gary

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 6:18AM
bihai(zone 9)

This is my R. korthalsii. Its been on this totem for a while now (over a year). I has made a side branch or 2 that are going over directly onto the wall of the greenhouse

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Malanga vs. Yautia
I picked up these "roots" at the local Latin...
JohnnieB
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™