Azaleas possible for a north facing bed?

summerstar(Z7VA)May 3, 2014

I've never grown azaleas and am wondering if they will grow well in a small bed, as a foundation plant, facing north? I'm in zone 7A in central Virginia and the west sun that they'll get is pretty hot in July and August. The sun doesn't reach that space until 1:00 pm in the summer and later in the spring and fall. Some things going for the planting spot is the bed has concrete all around it (a sidewalk and patio) and the soil stays fairly moist and seldom dry. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Full sun in the hottest part of the day and surrounded by heat and sun reflecting concrete could be problematic. Also, concrete can leach calcium into the soil, raising the pH, which might not be so great for the azaleas.

See what some others have to say.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 5:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sequoiadendron4(6B)

You might look at deciduous azaleas for that spot. It doesn't sound like it would be good for an evergreen variety and I also agree with what Rhizo said. Any reason you're choosing an azalea for that spot rather than something that could handle the sun better and also put out color? What about knock out roses, rose of sharon, weigela, viburnum, etc...

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™