Flowers sort of wilty on newly planted rhododendron

lovemyflower_gardenMay 5, 2006

I planted a rhododendron last week and it seems to be doing good, mostly. I see new light green leaves forming and overall it looks healthy. The problem is that many of the flowers, which aren't all open yet, seem sort of soft and wilty. They were firmer and more upright, right after planting. I'm inclined to think this is a need for more water thing, but I am really new to gardening and rhododendrons and just wanted to confirm my thoughts with some of you here who have much more experience with these.

This is my first one planted and I'm really exited at the new growth it's showing. I didn't expect new little leaves so soon. I bought two more this week, nova zembla, the bright red/pink blooms were just irresistable!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Weather/planting site too hot or roots need more water.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 8:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

I would never judge whether it needs water from the flowers. The leaves, especially the new leaves are the best judges of that. Making the roots wetter may cause a fungal disease that will kill the plant. Rhododendrons need moist well-drained acidic soil. Some rhododendrons have a naturally droopy truss while others have a very symmetrical upright truss. That characteristic is in their genes.

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 7:16AM
More Discussions
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™