azalea with leaf problem

malorn(7 S.E. Mass)May 13, 2007

I've read about azaleas for a few days now trying to figure out what is happening.

It is a 2-3 year old olga meezit (sp?) planted 2 years ago mothers day. I got 2 of them as gifts.. they are planted side by side..Last year 1 had a few of it's leaves start with brown spots..didn't do anything because overall plant seemed healthy. This year most leaves have this brown spots but it did flower well..the other plant is fine..

I posted this on the clinic forum not knowing this was here..so.. any ideas..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

If the end of the leaf turns brown, that is winter damage. However the spotting is different. There are a couple causes:

If a leaf has brown areas with white spots, it probably has a local fungal infection of Pestalotia rhododendri. This is seldom controlled with fungicides and is best mitigated by good sanitation and avoiding excessive moisture.

Leaf spotting can also be caused by chemical injury, such as drift from cleaners, paints, or chemicals used to kill moss on roofs. Sometimes the results of such injury may not show up for weeks or months.

There are a number of leaf spots or burns caused by fungi such as Botrytis cinerea, Phyllosticta, Septoria and others. Many are secondary infections happening after mechanical damage or environmental stress, such as sunburn, drought, winter damage or windburn. They generally occur during wet weather and many times are self limiting with drier weather. Good sanitation is helpful, so remove brown and fallen leaves. Also provide good air circulation. Spraying with Benomyl or similar fungicide can be useful, but is frequently not necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas and their problems.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™