Alocasia & Colocasia Overwintering

Grancru(z5 MI)September 27, 2005

I have a number of different Alocasia & Colocasia I need to overwinter. I have been told I can bring them inside and they will make a great house plant but I tried that last year and the humidity must have been to low and this trial failed. Not doing that again.

I have also been told I can stop watering them, cut off the folige and store them in the basement where the temp is approx. 68 degrees all winter and just leave them in the pots. Can anyone confirm this to be a sucessfull solution?

Any suggestions?

Grancru

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
btropical256(7a Philadelphia PA)

well for colocasia i just pull the bulbs up and store dry in my basement especially for the common elephant ear colocasia esculenta. alocasia im not sure i heard your supposed to keep it going all winter as the tubers dry up otherwise. im not sure for alocasia

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 6:47PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Btropical - are you not able to overwinter C. esculenta in ground in zone 7 PA? There are tons here in 7a that are grown in ground in lots of different light and environmental conditions and come back every year.

Susan

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 7:45PM
beachplant(9b)

Some of mine in pots I just stick in the downstairs, we rarely freeze, and others I leave in the garden or the ground. Some don't even go dormant here. I'm really no help am I?
Tally HO!

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 7:27PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Beachplant - no, you're not! And you're just making us cold zoners jealous! LOL! Although, I wouldn't want to live in Hurricane- or earthquake-land either. But a beach somewhere innocuous would be right up my alley.

I'm planning on just letting my pots of 'Illustris', 'Black Magic', and 'Fontanesii', dry out, let the foliage die back, and take in the house to a back room where temps stay no lower 50 degrees during winter. I had grand plans to plant them out, but they didn't pan out.

Do you water them at all in the winter?

Susan

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Anyone have seed-grown a.ongsakulii?
I would like to produce seed from my ongs, but strongly...
rredbbeard
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Need help
Bought a 9 inch dia. A. titanum bulb/cormer few years...
bgp_123
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
Sponsored Products
30 in. Alocasia Red - 151208
$149.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™