worms on my Exbury azaleas

rhodadend(pa.z6-7)May 13, 2006

Please help me.My three 6 feet tall orange Exbury azaleas are in full bloom but I noticed that all the leaves are eaten by tiny worms. I hand smashed them and then I applied dishwasher liquid spray with a germacide additive to the leaves only-probably very weak).Yesturday I planted 2 small but full Yellow/orange Exburys and they are not yet touched, but even so I sprayed them (the leaves) with the dishwasher liquid(not the flowers).

1. Will the leaves come back this spring and through the summer.

2.What must I spray them with ? Orthene?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

There is more than one species of caterpillar that can do this. They're hard to see, so their presence usually isn't noticed until they've done considerable damage. The leaves which have already been munched on will not, unfortunately, regenerate. Once control is achieved, though, no other leaves will be damaged.
Orthene will certainly work, but you really don't need such a heavy duty chemical. The soap may have helped, but soap based insecticides designed specifically for plants would be a surer thing. I've found neem extract in oil to be very effective - kills the caterpillars and the oil smothers any eggs. There are several brands available of this safe product.

Bookmark   May 14, 2006 at 6:13AM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™