Why is this family so addictive?

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)September 6, 2012

Such a high percentage of my plants are Aroids, I realize as I learn more about my plants. Something about leaves that unroll? Attempting to list them would be troublesome... and entail running back'n'forth to the porch a bunch'a times. They're like potato chips, you just want more! Does anybody have just one? If so, what IS it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Martina DeLuca

I know what you mean. I force myself to add other plants and flowers to my garden because everything would be Aroids or foliage plants otherwise.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 4:19PM
lomodor(6)

thats funny aroidgardener..a friend and fellow garden enthusiast came over the other day..she said "what no flowers?" LOL
i have 30+ bananas,100s of EE, 30+ amorphs..etc..
but i did jump in and say.. "i have zinnias!"
:)
for me..there are several levels of challenge in sucessfully growing aroids.. some are very easy..and spectacular..others are very difficult to grow .even in a
greenhouse situation..and thats what i love about aroids
if i want to be challenged..theres an aroid out there for me.. :)

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 4:43PM
Martina DeLuca

Lomodor.....funny! Though I was thinking...oh good, there's someone else like me. Do you have pics of your garden? Would love to see some.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 7:09AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I would too!

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 4:14PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I love this family and I dont even have any! I did some googling last night, what a fascinating family! So many genera and species, and they look so luxurious! There's even a species growing wild here in England, in the woods near me! But the most amazing revelation for me was that duckweed, that green stuff covering ponds, is an Arum!!

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 5:07AM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

Basically to me everything about them is amazing, I like to think of the days when aroids ruled the earth... If theres tropical holdovers from the past that still produce single leaves 20+ feet across, just imagine the beasts that once were...
I really enjoy they way EE's and amorph's or any bulb producing aroid has the ability to produce tremendous amounts of plant material in a single season, and then at the first sign of frost, it quite literally melts away, only to re-emerge and grow a foot a day.
Lets not forget gutation... crying plants are neat...but when i saw my C. fontanesii launching small raindrops from the leaf tip...well I was blown away. Every visitor here in the summer gets to see spitting elephant ears, fun stuff!
I went from growing cacti and succulents almost exclusively to totally hooked on aroids... its the sole reason I joined this forum... I NEED MORE... :D

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 11:17PM
tropicbreezent

There's no cure for it, no rehab centres, no counselling available, it's just a slippery slope down. All you'll get is other addicts encouraging and pressuring you to get more, LOL

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 8:17PM

I wish I had addict friends pushin aroids on me, my friends wont even chip in when I buy enough to share...

The new guy really didnt want to be the one to point out that they have penis' , pretty impressive for a plant I think, even if some have a deformed penis...

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 2:34AM
tropicbreezent

Well ..... that's one way of looking at it, LOL.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 5:14AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hey who started this lame thread? Oh, I did. It's about time someone pointed out the phallic fixation thing. Was about to think I'd have to do it myself!

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:09AM

Its the main thing my friends notice, I commonly hear "hows the penis plants" ;D

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Got my new Philodendron 'joepii' today!
I was so excited to get my new philodendron 'joepii'...
MonsteraMan
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
What do you do when Arum italicum naps?
I have a good size area blanketed in arum in the shade...
Kristin
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Sponsored Products
Alhambra Silver Oxide Seventeen-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Low Voltage Cast Aluminum Black Spotlight
$27.91 | Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Area Rug: Summit Gray and White 7' 6" Square
Home Depot
Florence Style Loft Armchair and Loveseat 2 Piece Set in Red Tweed
$1,249.00 | LexMod
Studio Italia Design | BIG-MEC SO1 Suspension
YLighting