Amorphophallus ?Konjac ?konjac ? rivieri

paul_(z5 MI)September 14, 2013

So out of curiosity, what is the correct nomenclature and can someone post a link to a reliable source proving it?

I have seen all of the above (as well as "konja", "rivieri 'Konjac' " and one or two other variations). I have had various people insistently tell me that it is correctly known as " A. Konjac", "A. konjac", or "A. rivieri." However, none have ever provided definitive evidence to support their case. As I do prefer to have my flora correctly named, I am curious to know just what is right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 9:39AM
tommyr_gw

Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 6:42PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Thanks folks!

And, Tommy, I always treat Wiki with a healthy dose of skepticism -- I have found misinformation there many a time.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:16PM
tropicbreezent

Wiki has a lot of good information, if you can be sure you can recognise and separate it from the bad. If you put up a study paper based on references from Wiki it would be rejected outright. It's not regarded as an acceptable reference. The Kew database is the ultimate accepted authority for plants. It's updated daily (which also means what's accepted today may be obsolete tomorrow).

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:39PM
tommyr_gw

I agree Wiki isn't a totally reliable source. I go to various other sites when I google to get a general consensus.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 6:17PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

International Aroid Society lists A. konjac as the valid species. A. rivieri is not listed as species or synonym

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid.org

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:01PM
tropicbreezent

The International Aroid Society is the central point for registration of hybrids and cultivars. But the data they provide on species is incomplete. You only have to look in their genera lists to see that there are large numbers of species missing. They rarely put in synonyms.

Amorphophallus rivierei Durand ex Carrière, Rev. Hort. 42: 573 (1870) is the full reference of the synonym.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Got my new Philodendron 'joepii' today!
I was so excited to get my new philodendron 'joepii'...
MonsteraMan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™