Should I Buy a Philodendron 'Burle Marx'?

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)September 29, 2013

A local nursery has large 3-gallon plants of philodendron 'Burle Marx' for $15. It this a plant worth owning? I want your opinion. I couldn't decide and so I did not buy one (yet). They were very healthy and they had about eight of them available. I have never before seen this plant in any Jacksonville nursery - fancy or big box.

It seems that I will have to work to keep it from getting gangly and leggy, and I will have to provide something for it to climb on. (The plants at the nursery were wound round and round within their large pots.) Also, I will have to bring it inside for frost or freeze. From what I have been able to find, it doesn't have a noteworthy bloom.

I can't decide if I really want to mess with this plant or not. Part of me only wants it because it is a little rare/unusual. But I have seen many a "rare" plant show up in Home Depot and Lowes after frequent mentions on GardenWeb.

Interestingly, on the tag it said "Philodendron Burly".

Do you have this plant? Are you looking for this plant? Do you love it? Or could you part with it?

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Philodendron 'Burle Marx'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalley77

Well if you like the plant you should get it. I hope Home Depot and Lowes continue to get rare and unusual plants. Because I'm really tired of the same old plants.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 12:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Hi Kalley,

I decided I don't like it $15 worth so I didn't get it... at least not yet, I should say. I often change my mind over time or upon a revisit. :)

Carol

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™