Where do I water the Rhodos??

qh41267May 1, 2007

Should these be watered only at the base of the plant to prevent fungus and disease on the leaves??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Somehow this question will often bring conflicting opinions, and strong ones :)

I prefer drip irrigation. Water isn't free even here, and less is lost to evaporation. If you don't have drip irrigation or the oozing type soaker hoses and are using overhead sprinklers, avoid evening waterings to allow the foliage to dry before night.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 12:26AM
waplummer(Z5 NY)

Normally they should not have to be watered escept to get established and again if they show signs of stress.Certainly drip irrigation is ideal, but watering at the base of the plant works well.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 11:28AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

I just visited some of the biggest and best rhododendron and azalea operations in the US: Greer and Van Veen in Oregon, Rare Find in New Jersey, and Sonoma Horticultural Nursery in California. They all use sprinkler or mist irrigation. In their case, a good looking healthy plant is money in the bank. Sure, drip or soakers are nice, but not necessary. As waplummer says, don't irrigate unless they need it. To much water is bad and causes root rot. Irrigation is sometime more needed in the winter except in the Mediterranean climates on the west coast of the US and in Europe.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™