6'8' tall alocasia calidora fruit and pictures

sandy0225(z5 Indiana)September 9, 2007

I asked this summer how to pollenate this plant when it bloomed, but I thought it sounded like too much work, so I just forgot about it. Well, I guess it didn't know I needed to save pollen from one flower to another one because it somehow pollenated itself. I noticed the berries today on it.

I also took some pictures of it with my hubby Ted measuring it with the tape measure. He's standing on the porch next to the plant, but it's planted in the ground below where he's standing, it's 6'8" tall today! It has a new leaf opening up too.

Do they normally pollenate themselves like that? I'm going to go ahead and plant them in a day or two since they seem so determined to propagate...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lariann(z10 FL)

Nice specimen! I sometimes get spontaneous berry set on a few of my Alocasias, including A. odora, A. odora 'Indian' and A. "Borneo Giant". Usually this happens when you have more than one flower open at a time and/or you have multiple plants blooming. I noticed that bees will "rob" my blooms of pollen and they probably contribute to spontaneous pollination. If someone within a mile or so of you has an Alocasia x calidora, the bees might have done the work for you.

This is one reason why I need to see the seedlings from berries of crosses I've done before I'm sure of hybridity, as I have been fooled in the past when I got berries from what I thought was a cross, but they turned out not to be hybrids after all!

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Berries on Borneo Giant (see bottom of page)

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 12:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

Yes, that must be what happened. There was more than one flower open on the plant at the same time. Thanks for the info.
Your Borneo Giant is awesome!!!!

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™