Alocasia Sport Propagation

GrowHappy(z7 MD)September 2, 2005

I'm reasonably sure that my Alocasia(Odora?) is a sport- it started with yellow paint like splotches in one new leaf. Now the offshoot from that stem is producing a 2nd leaf with the same markings. All the other leaves are green. How do I propagate the variegated portion of the plant? I'm a novice, please provide step by step instructions. Thank you in advance,

GH

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

If you have a true off-shoot, then you already have another plant. Leave it alone and let the off-shhot grow. WHen it has seeral leaves on it, pull out the entire plant from the pot, old and new, and carefully wash away the soil and carefully separate the new, variegated plant. Repot both plants. Now, care for the new plant and wait for it to multiply from more off-shoots. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 11:43PM
jderosa(z6 NJ)

Be careful who you invite to see your plants. There seem to be some who are willing to 'liberate' plants around here;)

Joe 'did I really post this?' DeRosa

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 7:51PM
bihai(zone 9)

The plant you are referring to is called ALocasia aurea. Its extremely hard to come by. How long have you had your odora? It may be it was an aurea all along but a plant with weak variegation. Mine will sometimes do that, have several offsets that are HIGHLY variegated and a few with absolutely no variegation. ALocasia macro albo-variegata is the same way.
LOL Joe!

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Helicodiceros muscivorus won't sleep
In oktober 2013 I bought on E-bay a Dead Horse Arum...
gigagys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™