Alocasia/Colocasia ID Needed

MimiGoldSeptember 18, 2012

Our local hardware store has a wonderful nursery with so many kinds of plants. Recently while I was looking around the many varieties of Colocasia and Alocasia, I asked the employee what the Alocasia/Colocasia was called that was beside the pond. (See Picture) She said she didn't know what they were called. Then she told me she has to clean up around the pond, which meant removing some of the pups from the mother plant, and asked me if I wanted one of them. Of course, I wasn't gonna say no! So, she cut one off for me and I brought it home and put it in a pot. Now I know they can get pretty big as they were about 4-5 feet tall around the pond and they are in filtered shade almost the whole day, with maybe and hour of morning sun. I just wanted to know if it was an Alocasia or Colocasia and what the name of it was. I am hoping someone here will be able to help me identify this plant so I can find out if it is hardy in my zone or not.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MimiGold

Here is a picture of the pup she gave to me.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:59PM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Black Stemmed Taro

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 7:11AM
S.A.McKenzie(8a-7b)

Mimi, you wouldn't happen to be in Hartsville, SC, would you? Those Colocasias look very familiar, as does the pond and the fence, like the one at ACE Hardware in Hartsville. These plants will be annuals if left outside in Zone 8b; they will die back in winter but the tubers will still be alive underground and will quickly put on new growth in spring, rapidly growing throughout the warm months until the first killing frost. I'd put a young one like this inside, though, during its first winter at least. I recently got a Colocasia at the Lowe's on David McLeod Blvd. in Florence, SC, that's supposed to be a "Black Coral", though it looks more like "Black Magic", and I plan to keep it indoors during this winter even though it's a pretty decent-sized plant in a 12-inch pot.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 10:08PM
miketropic

It is a colocasia fontanesii black stem. they can get very large. larger than the picture near the pond. I have had mine over 8 feet.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 11:54PM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

Definatly fontanenii, a great EE, u will have dozens in no time, should be totally hardy there, keep the runners cleane doff or they will take over... ;P

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Sponsored Products
Worthy Bench - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Essentials Black Two-Light Flush Mount
$33.00 | Bellacor
TOTO Fordham(TM) EcoPower(R) Thermal Mixing Sensor Faucet - Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Honey Can Do Industrial 5-tier Black Storage Shelves
Overstock.com
Seven Cascade Cut-Away Outdoor Fountain
Lamps Plus