florist azalea

joe_n_sc(7)June 14, 2006

I received a beautiful red blooming azalea from a friend when I was in the hospital. It has stopped blooming and I'm pruned the deadheads off and repotted it in a bigger pot and have it on my front porch. Is it possible to plant it in my yard to leave it there? I live in the upstate of South Carolina in zone 7. Our summers are very hot and humid and our winters are unpredictable. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Most florist azaleas will not tolerate temperatures below 30F. It is good to leave it out until winter, then bring it in. Some people let them go dormant in winter and others treat as a house plant.

The things to remember is that an azalea needs acidic well drained soil, but does not ever want to dry out. Make sure any pots have holes in the bottom and the pot is not set in another container that will let water stand in the bottom of the pot.

http://news.theolympian.com/gardening/50428.shtml gives the following advice:

'The tender azaleas, those with R. Indica blood, are not hardy north of Zone 8, so they must be wintered as a houseplant or in a greenhouse. Give them a cool, bright location. After the holidays, it is easy to force them at 60- degree nights. There is a little trick to make them bloom as houseplants, and that is to set them outdoors whenever it is above freezing. This will encourage bud set.

The "Tiny Dancer" azaleas you see in the shops at this season will bloom several times a year in a greenhouse with 55-degree nights. Repot them to 3-inch pots as soon as the first bloom finishes.'

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 7:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paulinep(z8NC)

The most favorite azalea in my garden is a florist azalea, I have not been successful in propagating this beauty, but she blooms dependably twice a year! I bought two of them as topiaries on the inside houseplant section at HD years ago, and when they finished blooming I planted them outside near foundation (I am in Zone 8--Wilmington, NC) and these babies are the prettiest things TWICE a year! So, plant outside, find a protected area and hope you have as much luck as I have had with these:

Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: My photobucket site

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™