Should I cut off spent flowers on my rhodie?

suebot(6CT)June 10, 2006

Hi All-

I like alot of newbies am afraid to prune for fear of making mistakes. Do you prune off spent flowers on rhodies?

Thanks,

suebot in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Pruning isn't required to remove them - simply snap off the old truss with your hand...right above the whorl of leaves. Your rhododendron will reward you with more blooms next year since you've diverted energy that would otherwise gone into setting seed.

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 11:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

If you go to the thread "'new' gardener needs help with rhod/azalea", there are photos on how to deadhead a rhododendron. That is what removing spent flowers is called. On some varieties it makes a difference, on some it doesn't matter at all. On most varieties, it will only make a small difference if any. Most gardeners would like to deadhead but few actually do. If you are getting petal blight, then deadheading is very important. All spent flowers should be destroyed. The best way is to toss them in the trash.

Petal blight is a disease that hits some rhododendrons and azaleas that bloom later in the spring. It causes the flower to turn mushy before it naturally wilts. If you look closely it forms unsightly brown spots on the flowers. Attached is an example the early stages of petal blight before the flowers turn mushy.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™