Why my azaleas had blooming problems?

alla_pa(z6)June 18, 2005

This year my three year old Rosebud azelea made lots of buds this spring as always, but just a few of them opened up. The buds just stayed pink for long time, then browned and dried out. What happened? What could prevent the azalea from blooming? The other azalea in the same bed flowered spectacular.

Also, One azalea that I bought last year did not flower at all, maybe 5 flowers, no buds. I have not pruned it since I bought it, and it was in bloom when I purchesed it. The plant looks happy over all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Environmental factors such as late spring freezes can kill the buds. A fungus called azalea petal blight can also kill the buds.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 5:49PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

We had some dry periods in PA around the time the buds were swelling. Did you get to water yours during that time? The flower abort could have been due to drought conditions as the plant will often let the flowers go in favor of the foliage before the foliage droops.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 6:47PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

If you had a period of warmish weather followed by the possible late freeze as mentioned above, your buds probably froze. Flower buds are approx 10F less hardy than foliage buds.

The azalea planted last year is behaving normally. They will often not bloom their first year after planting, channeling energy into root formation and establishment in place of setting flower buds.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™