so this is what a $326 anthurium looks like....

bihai(zone 9)October 23, 2007

This is an example of what one of the high priced Anthuriums going for big bucks on eBay looks like. Currently the bid for a plant about the size of my infant is up to $326. To me, its a cool plant, but if I had not gotten it for $25, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I purchased this plant from Ecuagenera a year ago, and it has tripled in size. This species (A. reflexinervium) is found naturally only in one place in Peru and typically (from what I have read on the International Aroid site, anyway) grows on rocks (epilyth) in a lot of sun. Since I wanted to keep mine mobile, I put it into a treefern basket with lava rock, aliflor and some orchid mix. It's done very well. Hopefully someday it will flower and seed and I can try to grow some from seed, that will be cool. I am already trying to grow some A. gracile and a few other anthuriums from seed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exoticrainforest

I whole heartedly agree. But a discussion on the Aroid l board yesterday pointed out very well the market will simply bear what the market will bear. If people in one part of the world are willing to pay way more than a plant is worth, well, that's just "show business". But it is certainly a strange phenomenon.

Apparently this same "phenomenon" has swept that part of the world before. They've often gone crazy over obtaining common plants while paying extremely high prices we'll likely never understand. Just stand out of their way until it is over! And it will end!

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 9:31AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Yep, as long as people are selling correctly identified plants and the free-market is willing to grab them up for silly prices that is OK.....not sure why they do it, but people will pay just goofy prices. There is an Anthurium selling for over $3K on ebay from one of the absolute best people to deal with in the world....more power to her, but I can not fathom spending that sort of money on any plant and I have surely spent too much money on plants in my day.....my wife will confirm that by the way :o) Dan

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 9:40AM
exoticrainforest

Haven't we all???

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 10:00AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

I want a $3k anthurium, at least to sell! I don't want to buy one though....LOL

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Helicodiceros muscivorus won't sleep
In oktober 2013 I bought on E-bay a Dead Horse Arum...
gigagys
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Sponsored Products
Teak Saddle Bar Stool
Grandin Road
Domi Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with White Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor
Premium 9-foot Round Natural White Wood Patio Umbrella
Overstock.com
Fuse Office Chair in Tan
$119.00 | LexMod
Luxe Tile Giclee Glow Bronze Mini Pendant Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus