Syngonium-like plant and shingler in Ecuador id?

woodnative(6)October 20, 2010

In the jungles of Ecuador, east of the Andes I commonly saw plants that look very much like Syngonium.....arrowhead type leaves on a philodendronish stem. Juvenile leaves had some silvery patterns in them. Any idea to identifcation?

I also saw a lot of a shingle type plant....leaves one to two inchess long, simple, and hugging the stem. I assume this is the juvenile form of some Monstera??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exoticrainforest

I showed your photo to Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden. Tom wrote the most recent Revision of the genus Syngonium. This was his response:

"It is indeed a Syngonium but I don't know it specifically. It is likely to be a juvenile form, perhaps even of S. atrovirens."

The problem is that species is not known to appear in Ecuador abd us primarily found in Central America. You may have discovered a new species or a specimen not previously known to exist in that country. Every time Tom goes collecting in Ecuador he comes back with at least 25 new species not known to science and currently has a backlog of some 500 plants to be published.

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
Pothos, the real one
I'm still away from home and have been doing quite...
tropicbreezent
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™