'fuji kake' rhododendron

tcharles26(usa texas)June 2, 2006

Does anyone know anything about the "fuji kake" rhododendron?

I ordered one. It will stay in a container. Anyone have a soiless mix suggestion for this plant? Any other care suggestions? I've never done an azalea or rhodo before. They are generally not reccomended here because the soil and water are alkaline.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

It apparently is a Satsuki Evergreen Azalea. This is a prolific group of azaleas. I don't know of any other source for this besides: smallplants.com listed alphabetically as "Azalea" but with the word "Rhododendron" instead:

"Rhododendron 'Fuji kake' -- Fuji kake Dwarf Rhododendron
You say you want dwarf? Then this is the plant for you! Just when you thought you've seen all the azaleas there are in the world, we bring you another one. This evergreen little gem comes from Japan and couldn't be any cuter. Perfect for the azalea/rhododendron collector, but also quite happy in a container among annuals. Pretty lavendar-purple flowers in late spring. Partial shade, grows to 2' x 2'."

Their directions for planting say "green side up" so they have a sense of humor.

For an article on raising Satsuki Azaleas: Azaleas Society of America article on Satsuki Azaleas

The texas extension service wrote an article on raising azaleas in Texas:
Growing Azaleas in East Texas

There is another article on raising Bonsai in Texas: Summering Bonsai In Texas . Fuji Kake is not a bonsai, but the problems are similar.

Robert Callaham recently wrote a book on Satsuki Azaleas. You can contact him at: Robert Callaham, rzcallaham@att.net , or buy his book at:

Here is a link that might be useful: Book: Satsuki Azaleas by Robert Callaham

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™