Need some advice on care!

ninetyJune 1, 2014

I recently received what I was told to be a Fireball Exbury Azalea. Well, the poor thing appears to be nothing but a few sticks about a foot tall poking up from the dirt! I have checked it and the plant is indeed green on the inside, at both the base of the plant and at the tips of the few branches that it has. It was in a very tiny pot and soil was very dry when I got it. Also, I don't know if it means anything, but the bark is peeling a little on the lower main branch. It doesn't appear to be extreme and there are no holes anywhere in the plant. I went ahead and repotted it in a larger pot with some new, organic soil and Watered it. Is there anything else that I should do for this azalea, or should I just let it go and see what happens?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Exbury azaleas in WA state should have foliage by now. Are you saying this is still naked wood? Not a good sign but not necessarily terrible either. I would be patient.....if the plant doesn't begin to leaf out in the next few weeks, then I would become concerned. For right now, adequate water is all that is necessary.

This post was edited by gardengal48 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 17:30

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 5:28PM
ninety

I'm not sure if it's still naked wood, or it had leaves and they fell off. The bush was given to me a few days ago. Thank you for your response, I will continue to water it and be patient as suggested. :)

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:38PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Is it inside or outside?
You should have it outside, preferably in the ground.
It should have leaves by now. Mine just finished blooming.
Mike

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 11:08AM
ninety

It is outside. It's not in the ground, but I do have it in a huuuge half whiskey barrel type of container. It still has no leaves at this point, but it did start showing little green nub-looking things at various points on the branches.

I would plant it in the ground, but the dirt/soil at my parents is quite old and the actual ground under it is full of rocks, etc and i wasn't sure how it would do.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 12:59PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

As long as you're not growing a root crop, like potatoes or carrots, rocks are not a problem. Is your 'old dirt', topsoil that hasn't been cultivated in a long time?
It sounds as if the plant has been not taken care of very well this spring from the start and you're trying to save it. (too dry, as you said) I'd leave it where it's at and keep it moist, not wet, and see what it does. Give those small sprouts a chance. You just might be able to save it.
Exbury Azaleas are real nice plants. Here's a couple of mine.

Mike

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
jujujojo_gw
Is this a rhododendron?
Moved here in July. Still trying to figure this out....
ssmo
What type os Azalea to buy to achieve this...
My ultimate goal is to achieve the edge in the linked...
gatremonti
Most mini
I bought one purple blooming azalea years ago in Laconia...
coppice
Sponsored Products
Wicker Palm Harbor Outdoor Love Seat & Side Table
$399.99 | zulily
Jofran 1032-3 End Table w/ One Drawer & One Shelf
Beyond Stores
Lunar 52" Ceiling Fan by Monte Carlo Fans
$416.00 | Lumens
Catskill Craftsmen Hutch Top Cart with Enclosed Storage Microwave Cart - 51530
$213.02 | Hayneedle
Black Floor Lamp: 2-Light Torchiere Lamp Black Finish CLI-LS428060
Home Depot
Vig Furniture - Modern Leather Sectional Sofa with Recliner -...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™