Philodendron Pedatum culture

jimmyfresno(z9 CA)October 27, 2011

Hi. I have a 8" stem cutting from a Philodendron pedatum that I have been nurturing for an entire year now. It did root, and I have it planted fairly deeply in a 6" pot with about half of the stem submerged in a good quality loam. I am careful not to ovwerwater.

The growth on this rooted cutting is so slow! I examined the root system this summer and it has about a golf ball size mass of roots and three tiny leaves. I do realize it is overpotted, but that doesn't seem to account for its small size. I gave it some highlly diluted food and put it in diffused light to bright shade outdoors all summer.

I am in Fresno, where the temperatures can reach 110 DRY degrees. I know this plant requires humidity, but it doesn't seem to suffer browning on the leaves...just SLOW, SLOW growth.

Any hints?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fido399

Sounds like you are doing everything right except maybe your potting mix might be to heavy for Philos. Overpotting isn't really a problem unless they are left out in the rain in the wrong mix. Standard potting soils don't work well for Philos under adverse conditions. You could try using a cactus mix and never letting it dry out or a mix of equal parts of potting soil, sand and, perlite- again never letting it go dry.

My phylos really respond well to organic fertilizers like fish emulsion, but you don't want to overdo this either.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™