What type of fungus is this (picture attached)

casanova(z7 Newnan, GA)June 4, 2005

I have an azalea that I have had planted in the ground for about 5 years. It looks fine all over except this one branch that i went ahead and broke off. I took a picture with my webcam, so it might be hard to see.

It resembles old paint on a wooden house that needs to be re-painted. It chips away just like paint would on a house after many years. It was only one branch, and it had nearly no new growth at all so I went ahead and snapped it off. Just curious as to what it is. http://webpages.charter.net/bb4caps/fungus.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Casanova! I can't really tell much from that image, but I suspect your azalea has some LICHEN (pronounced ly'-kin). For some reasons, lichens are really attracted to azaleas.

Lichens are harmless to your plant, but typically an indication that something is wrong. They won't thrive on truly healthy azalea. Also, azaleas might not be unhealthy...just past their prime.

Is this what you have? See attached.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 4:42PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Lichen, and not harmful. Usually the result and not the cause of a weakened branch, but can be found on healthy growth, or even fences.

I hope when you say snapped, you may have meant pruned? A clean sharp cut is always preferable to a jagged break :)

Here is a link that might be useful: lichen

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 4:47PM
casanova(z7 Newnan, GA)

Yes, that is exactly what it is. Thanks so much. If I had known what it was I would have posted a better picture. At least I know now it's not harmful

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 12:41AM
tadeusz5(z5 il)

CAsanova;

Take a couple 4 inch cuttings of the new growth from your broken branch , small quart sized pot, soil mixture wet but not soggy, take off 70 % of the leaves, isert that cutting into that mixture, get a gallon sized or smaller zip lock bag, close it, place it in a shade no direct sun, await about 10-12 weeks and lo and behold you might have a "new" plant from that broken branch.

tadeusz.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
jada223
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™