New to Rhodies

dlcooper52a(NC Mtns, z7)June 5, 2014

We've moved to a new home in North Carolina and now have many rhododendrons and azaleas. Spring was simply breath-taking here!

But I'm a novice with the rhodo, though I've gardened generally for some 50 years. So I'd appreciate some help from you knowledgeable growers.

1) I've had difficulty identifying dormant buds on old wood. Maybe none are present? I don't want to risk cutting back "hard" our spindliest plants. Any hints/advice to improve compactness? (I've learned rhodos are classified "difficult to prune")

2) Is there value in dead-heading spent bloom stalks?

3) One plant develops ugly white bulbous growths on a few branch tips. These seem to be formed of distorted new leafs, as pictured, though they go on to get larger. Is this a commonly recognized problem? Probably a disease or insect?

We much appreciate the effectiveness of these forums. THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Leaf gall. It's a fungus.

For now, the only thing you can do is to remove and discard the affected growth.

Next year, it's suggested to spray Monterey Liqui-Cop just prior to budbreak, then repeat 2 to 3 weeks later. Doing so should reduce symptoms the following year.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 12:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

Rhododendrons vary considerably in their ability to produce new shoots from old wood. Some varieties do it easily, others do not. For seriously spindly plants, the best course is probably pruning back in an inconspicuous place and waiting to see what happens. Those growing in shade will usually respond less well than those receiving at least some direct sun.

Dead heading the spent blooms is a tedious but worthwhile task. Preventing the formation of seed does help with increased bloom the next spring. Further, unless they're removed, the brown shrunken pods are pretty obtrusive and ugly.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 5:38AM
More Discussions
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
jujujojo_gw
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
Most mini
I bought one purple blooming azalea years ago in Laconia...
coppice
Sponsored Products
Dual Purpose Staggered Shelf Table
| Dot & Bo
2004ICV 3.75 Inch New Construction Airtight IC Housing
Lightology
Montego Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$154.00 | Bellacor
Free-Pad New Heriz Hand Knotted 3' X 12' Serapi Persian Lava-Blue Floral Area Ru
BH Sun Inc
Area Rug: Flower Grande Sage 5' 3" x 8' 3"
Home Depot
Deadstock Floor Lamp by Castor
$2,200.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™