Rhododendron question...newbie

kimcocoJune 9, 2008

I want to plant a Rhododendron on the north side of my house. I know nothing about Rhododendrons.

1. There is an exhaust pipe near this area that runs from our furnace. Obviously, I won't plant directly in front of this, but what is a "safe" distance?

2. There are different varieties at my local nursery - some get really large, while others get maybe 3-4' in height. The colors that I want are the larger variety, but I'm not sure if I have enough space. Our property line is 36" from our house. If I plant the larger variety, is it feasible to prune them to keep them to size? What time of year do I prune?

3. What do I need to do to winterize?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

The main danger is that the heat from the furnace exhaust will cause problems in the winter. Rhododendrons like to cool off and stay cool and not be thawed out everytime the furnace kicks on. I would stay well away.

It is possible to prune them to stay small but not practical. You will get tired of it very quickly. There are some great smaller ones. I would recommend looking at the PJM series of small leaved rhododendrons and also the Northern-Lights series of deciduous azaleas. They are both extremely hardy and deciduous azaleas are available in a wide variety of colors.

The most important thing is to mulch them. It will help them in hot or cold weather and in dry weather. PJM's and Northern-Lights are very hardy and don't need much help. It is always best to try to avoid winter sun and wind. That is their main enemy. When the roots freeze, winter sun and wind tend to dessicate rhododendrons. Deciduous azaleas aren't bothered nearly as much.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Greer Gardens
Greer Gardens appears to be enjoying the last days...
kristincarol
Azalea Sunny Side Up
Anyone know of a mail order nursery that carries Aromi...
shorebill
How can I revive my dying azalea? Please help
So I'm really horrible at keeping plants alive, but...
kateyyy
What type os Azalea to buy to achieve this...
My ultimate goal is to achieve the edge in the linked...
gatremonti
Sponsored Products
nuLOOM Handmade Modern Disco Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Wood Chair - 57834-GDIVA-51
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Cloche Channel Back Sofa - 10815-PLTNM-32
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Villagio Dresser - 58051-44
Great Furniture Deal
South Florida Bulls Garden Flag
$6.99 | zulily
Which Came First Dishtowel - Set of 2
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
AICO Furniture - Discoveries Round Entry Table - ACF-ENT-FBRK-348